FLEXcon and Sustainability
For more than 50 years, FLEXcon, an ISO 9001:2008 and L.I.F.E certified manufacturer, has been dedicated to conducting business with integrity. While this value has rewarded us with long-standing customer relationships, it has brought forth an evolving sustainability initiative that maintains our role as a responsible corporate steward of the environment and, whenever possible, encourages eco-friendly business practices.
As a global manufacturer of pressure-sensitive films and adhesives, FLEXcon recognizes the potential impact on the environment from our manufacturing processes and our products. Therefore, it is our policy to minimize environmentally adverse operations by striking a balance between environmental factors and our manufacturing processes to sustain the quality of life for our employees and our neighbors in the communities where we operate.
Sustainability means meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. It also means living within the limits by understanding the interconnections between economy, society and the environment.
Customer and employee satisfaction, commitment to excellence, integrity, taking responsibility for environmental sustainability and providing a safe workplace are the hallmarks of FLEXcon’s mission and culture. Along with initiatives around enhancing our reputation as a strong corporate citizen, we believe being a good steward of our environmental resources will make us a stronger, more competitive company, better able to support and satisfy our broad customer base.
FLEXcon continues to work with our customer and suppliers to support sustainability initiatives by:
- Developing enviro-friendly products which utilize environmentally-friendly materials and water-based adhesives
- Reviewing packaging options to minimize waste
- Focusing on the re-use of pallets and packaging supplies
- Being active in raw material recycling programs
Our employees play a vital role in the success of our business, and we strive to be a great place to work for all our employees by:
- Encourage employees to live a healthier life by offering a workplace wellness program.
- Provide an open forum for all employees to suggest opportunities in environmental and sustainable matters.
- Instituted a safety program with the principle that every task must be performed safely, not just for employees, but also for our contractors, visitors, customers and the communities in which we operate;
- Maintained the highest standard of safety through OSHA’s Voluntary Protection Program (VPP), which FLEXcon has been a participant of since 1995, achieving STAR status in 1998.
- Utilizing an Environmental Management System (EMS), which defines responsibilities of employees at all levels of the organization to continuously monitor and improve environmental factors.
- We require all FLEXcon employees and operations to comply with applicable local, state, and federal regulations relating to environmental matters.
FLEXcon understands the importance of being a good neighbor in the communities in which we operate. To do so, FLEXcon will continue to:
Actively pursue the most current environmental technologies available for new and existing processes and engage in activities that directly impact reduction in air emissions, effluents and toxic material use reduction or elimination.
Maintain close affiliations with local, state, and federal agencies;
Invest in new technologies to minimize electrical and gas usage
Support local community activities
Our sustainability dashboard has eight key elements; reducing natural gas, electricity and water consumption; waste reduction, recycling, hazardous waste, air emissions and safety. Since 2009, FLEXcon’s sustainability initiatives have resulted in:
- Reduced natural gas consumption by 4%,
- Reduced electricity consumption by 9%
- Maintained a company-wide conscientiousness that water is a precious resource. In an effort to reduce our usage, which is typically less than half of our daily allowable limit, FLEXcon employs water conservation methods when feasible to manage and quantify its corporate water footprint. This has enabled FLEXcon—even during a growth in business, staffing and infrastructure— to maintain current water consumption levels at usage rates dating as far back as the year 2000. To do this, FLEXcon continually identifies conservation areas across our facilities and supply chain, while researching market mechanisms and technologies to recycle or control water use;
- A continued focus in the reduction of waste and the re-use of manufacturing and packaging supplies through cooperation efforts between FLEXcon’s customers and suppliers.
- Continued pursue of green initiatives, including such technologies and methodologies as greener products; alternative energy sources; disposal of hazard waste as an alternative fuel source; waste-to-energy facilities; and applies them where feasible to promote and sustain best industry practices;
- Upheld the goals of our EMS policy for continuous compliance with air emission regulations. Air emissions are greatly reduced by routing through various types of thermal oxidizers, which achieve a minimum of 98 percent destruction efficiency, and through the development of high-performance, water-based adhesives;
- Consolidated our holiday/vacation schedules to allow longer periods of equipment down-time to save heat, light, and power, while focusing on preventive maintenance;
- Match the length of the film roll to the size of the order to minimize material waste and reduce downtime;
- Initiated a predictive maintenance program in 2008 that allows equipment to perform at a high level of efficiency;
In addition, all FLEXcon employees were asked to generate sustainability practices which resulted in identifying 4 key areas as a focus for future success. These areas to be focused on include:
- Reduction in the consumption of paper
- Reduction in utility consumption (electric, gas, water)
- Reduction in the use of packaging materials
- Increase opportunities for the re-use of manufacturing supplies in-house and between suppliers and customers.
While we are proud of our accomplishments, FLEXcon recognizes that our sustainability initiative must always be evolving, with constant improvements to minimize any impacts of our current and future activities. Moreover, FLEXcon understands that sustainability is an investment in the future that will not only benefit our customers, employees, and suppliers, but also the societies and the world in which we live.
For FLEXcon's disclosures under the California Transparency in Supply Chains Act Click Here.
Request more information on FLEXcon’s Sustainability Initiative
Director, Risk Management